Fireworks claim many lives and homes every year, but there is no reason to leave yourself at risk. The summer in particular can be a dangerous time for many families. When you plan ahead, know prevention methods, and do your part, you can reduce the danger to your family from fire. Today we’re going to be talking about some of the ways you and your family can work together to stay safe in the upcoming months. Are you ready to learn more? Well, let’s get going!
Summer brings fireworks into the mix.
Fireworks are part of what makes the summer super fun. However, they are also super dangerous without the proper preparation and safety measures. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, fireworks were involved in over 10,000 injuries during 2014. This includes everything from basic sparklers to major fireworks. Thus, it’s safe to say that fireworks safety is a very important topic. We all love to have fun with fireworks, but staying safe should be in the forefront of everyone’s minds when using them.
Here are some tips to take with you.
- Never ever give fireworks to children and always supervise sparkler time.
- Familiarize yourself with any warning labels and instructions on each firework.
- Alcohol and fireworks do not go well together. Enjoy a responsible drink after you’re finished.
- Never try to relight a “dud.” Wait for 20-30 minutes after the initial lighting and then put it in water.
- Always have water, a hose, or a fire extinguisher on hand when lighting fireworks.
- Dispose of fireworks by getting them wet and placing them in a metal trashcan. Do not leave them with anything combustible.
- Never keep fireworks in your pocket or light them off in a metal or glass container.
- Do not light multiple fireworks at once.
- Make sure you are a safe distance from the fireworks when they go off.
Stay safe this summer and have fun!
Biles Fire Protection Services is Here to Help
No matter your fire protection needs, Biles Fire Protection Services can design and install a system that will work for you. We are proud to offer top-notch customer service including fast response times, reliable support, and affordable prices. We are certified through the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies and have the knowledge and experience to create the right fire protection system for your home or business. To learn more about what we have to offer, give us a call at 443-701-8330, send us an email, or request a quote online.